Sunday, June 6, 2010

Bon Voyage


Not that I am a prolific blogger, but I will not be blogging for a good 6 days at least. Tomorrow morning, my husband, my daughter and I leave for a cruise. The stops are Key West and Cozumel.

It is also the destination wedding of my good friend, Deborah. While “cruising” has never been my thing, I am excited to be a part of her wedding as the Matron of Honor.

Actually, going on a cruise is just a tad terrifying to me. Images of Titanic dance through my head. And though class traveling rules no longer apply, I made sure that our family’s room was above sea level and not below decks in “steerage.”

I highly doubt that there will be any icebergs between Miami and Cozumel, but I just feel more comfortable with a window (well, porthole) above sea level.

However, on our journey from Key West to Cozumel, we may encounter the oil slick. Which sickens me…every time I read about it or now see the ever increasing photos of wildlife coated in it and dying from it.

I remember as a South Florida child of the 70’s, every time I went to the beach I could expect to have tar on my feet and legs. Indeed, alongside of the outdoor showers at the top of the beach there was always a turpentine station back then. It was just expected that beach goers would have tar (oil) on their bodies.

I just realized in light of this recent catastrophic event that the turpentine stations of my childhood had been long gone. My daughter has gone to a local camp every summer and has never experienced tar in her hair or on her legs. Another case of not realizing what you have until it’s gone – a clean and safe ocean.

Now I worry about the next generation. The formerly pristine and beautiful Gulf of Mexico may well be a hot mess of decay.

I just hope that BP follows through and cleans up as much of the mess as possible.

I return from our cruise on Friday morning. I will be documenting the entire time, via the netbook my husband thoughtfully gave to me. And, I will post my experiences upon my return. (Not willing to pay the price for international internet service)

My best wishes to Deborah and Peter, the Bride and Groome we are honoring and traveling with. (Just finished coaching my Husband through the final draft of his best man speech!)

Bon Voyage!

No comments: