Sunday, June 13, 2010

Cruising


As I mentioned previously, I just returned from my first cruise on Friday. Well, it was my first cruise that lasted longer than a few hours. As a product of South Florida, I have been on several day, dinner and evening (read gambling) cruises.

This was the first time that I carried luggage aboard and had to surrender myself to the whims of an unknown captain, his boat and its hyperactive schedule. In tow were my husband (who had already been on a cruise) and my 14 year old daughter (who never had been – but was salivating at the prospect of freedom at the ‘teen club’ and late curfews that I had promised her.)

I felt agoraphobic and like I had a touch of vertigo the first evening. There were just SO many people, and the tour to the upper deck to the water slides made me dizzy.

The next day, we landed in our first of two destinations, Key West. Now, I absolutely love Key West. I have visited so many times, and I probably bore people with my endless verbal facts about its history.

However, we were there to witness the marriage of my friend Deborah and her new husband Peter. Thus, we were there only a brief time. Back onboard, Deborah and Peter had a lovely reception, which ended a couple of hours prior to sunset.

I went up to the Lido Deck, which housed most of the dining and also the pool. It was here that I could have the best view of the ocean that was sponsoring our trip across its surface. The Lido deck was also the best spot for people-watching. As I sat and thought about my own aversion to cruising, I was also afforded a front row seat to those who embrace this type of travel.

After a couple of days, I started to categorize them…and put them in my own buckets of people “who like to cruise.”

There were some larger groups, not just in numbers, but also in girth. They were seated at tables, just like myself, but they usually had mounds of food in front of them. I termed them as the “Foodies.” All of the meals, snacks and formal several course dinners onboard are included in the price you pay before you sail.

Food is one of the starring attractions for these cruisers. Food is available, however you want it and wherever you want it (including room service to your cabin). It is easy to get caught up in the feeding frenzy.

I am normally not an early eater. A cup of coffee and some fruit is typically my fare prior to noon. But on a cruise? Which verboten starch would I prefer? English Muffin? Or perhaps a flaky croissant? Fuck the fruit, as there was also REAL (not turkey) bacon being loaded onto my plate.

The more formal evening dinners had three courses with multiple choices: appetizer, main course and dessert. We sampled everything. Until, with my gut heavy and my bowels unregulated I put a stop to the gluttony by the second day. Just because the food is there, doesn’t mean I must eat it. But, the “Foodies” definitely have their place at the table. (A little pun intended.)

There are the "parents." The ones that were trying unsuccessfully to herd their children in one direction. I witnessed younger parents trying to corral their children while they, the parents, were having beers at the pool. They were continually negotiating with each other as to who would get next “watch” over the little screaming, shouting, slippery-wet ankle biters that were their progeny.

I also watched a single Mom with her little girl navigate the deck and pool area. Her entire trip consisted of watching her 5 year old girl leap in and out of the pool. My heart leapt out every time I watched her watch her daughter. Her gaze was not annoyed…but gently joyous as she watched her daughter frolic. I was reminded keenly of when I was a single Mom.

Then there are the "Cruisers." Usually middle aged, they want to cruise…just for the sake of it. The ports of call are just bonuses. I happened upon a couple of them on my first night…and was heartened by their joie de vivre. They tended to sit quietly on an upper deck in the evenings to watch the sun set.

Then there is us. A quiet family. Willing and grateful Cruisers by accident.

On the third day, we took in the hot sidewalks and shopping of downtown Cozumel. Jeez, those shop owners were as relentless as the sun that beat down on us. Though we were in port until 10 PM, our tired little family of three dragged ourselves back onto the Ship at 5:15. And then we all took loooong naps.

The last night, I went up to the Lido deck once again. We were cruising back from Mexico to South Florida. Our location was right in between the Dry Tortugas and the North Western tip of Cuba. I was enjoying being in the moment, sailing across the sea, my loved ones close by.

Suddenly, I noticed two pelicans, flying alongside the boat…almost at eye level. I marveled at them. How far had they come? Had they seen the oil in the water and come out this far to get nourishment?

Then the pelicans dove down into the water in tandem, both of them catching fish…and stayed at the surface gulping their booty and bobbing in the waves as the Cruise Ship left them behind. As they disappeared from view, I said a little prayer for them and wished them health. Despite the icky, awful mess we have left for them in the Gulf.

Initially, my darling daughter had proclaimed the entire cruise affair as boring. She had met just a handful of contemporaries in the “teen club” she had so yearned to be a part of. (She is 14 and a half – I had convinced the director that she could be placed in the 15 to 17 group rather than the less desirable 12 to 14 group.)

However, on our last evening on the ship, Tay met a young man. One so polite that he insisted on walking her to her room.

All of a sudden, my daughter was feeling the heartbeat that all of us have felt as teenagers. She was at turns dreamy and then moody.

Her heart’s awaking is the biggest stop on for her this tour… and I thank God that I get to be a part of it. She was so eager to tell me what happened He was kind, he wanted to meet her Mom, he plays video games. He is taller than her. She sucked in her breath when he played with her hair. They kissed.

I am grateful that my daughter had this experience and that she shared it with me. I am even more grateful that the young lad lives in Texas. (ha, ha)

I also read a fantastic book whilst onboard. “This Is Not The Story You Think It Is: A Season of Unlikely Happiness.” It is a phenomenal tale of positive thinking and finding peace within yourself. It was the perfect book to read on this trip and at this juncture in my life.

Cruising was a very new experience for me…and one I am thankful for. I return to the office that I love (and that pays my bills) tomorrow. I would love to hear any insights from those who love to go on cruises…did I miss something? Should I plan another?

2 comments:

Di said...

Does Tay read this? If so, she will immediately insist that you delete the boy stuff and remind you of how much you embarrass her.

A cruise is fun...I got one for free and the other was to Alaska. But it isn't my favorite mode of vacationing. I like staying in real places that have real communities...not just places where you can get the tourist crap that you can get just as easily at the next port.

So happy about Deborah's marriage! They look so happy. Saw pics on Facebook.

Vicky92569 said...

No, Tay has not read this...she has asked for the link to my blog and I have demurred. That’s not to say that I am naïve, I know she can find it if she really wants to. :)

I am with you, Di. When I vacation, I prefer to immerse myself in the surroundings. I would consider a cruise to Alaska, however.