Friday, May 21, 2010

SATC

Last Friday I got up at 2:30 in the morning. My alarm was buzzing and my husband gently shook my arm. “Honey, the tickets are available,” he said. I shot upright, and staggered to the computer. Eureka! He was right. I had been stalking the Boca Raton Cinemark Theater site for the last two weeks, waiting for this very moment. Adrenaline was rushing through my veins and my hands were shaking as I clicked to purchase 16 of the highly coveted seats. I waited for the confirmation e-mail and then had to drink a cup of Sleepy Time tea to calm myself enough to go back to sleep for a couple of hours before the work day.

Why all the fuss and the sacrifice of sleep? Premier Tickets to see Sex and the City 2.

By saying ‘Premier,’ I am not referring to opening night. The movie will actually open the day before (which I find odd – what movie opens on a Thursday?) But for me, Premier means seeing the movie in a very posh fashion. Here in Boca, our movie theater has an upstairs restaurant, bar and theater. The seating is assigned and they are comfortable, plush love seats. There is real food and cocktails for purchase and free popcorn with an assortment of optional flavorings. I was first introduced to seeing a movie in this elite fashion by my friend Di when we saw Dreamgirls a few years ago. Since then I refer to seeing a movie in regular seats as ‘sitting in steerage.’

It was here that I saw the first Sex and the City (SATC) movie in 2008 with 7 other bright, beautiful women. This time around, I strived to bring even more lovely women to celebrate the movie with me. And after my early morning ticket buying – I stand triumphant.

I was late-comer in the game with regards to SATC the TV show. I rented the first season on DVD on a whim, intending the rental to be a balance and distraction for a Super Bowl Party and ended up watching it straight through. I absolutely fell in love with the characters and the writing. I was single at the time, and the story lines spoke to me in volumes.

After my first taste of the show on DVD, I upped my cable package with a subscription to HBO. Every Sunday night was eagerly awaited. Many times I hosted Cosmo nights at my humble little abode. (To this day, give me a good bottle of vodka, cranberry juice, Cointreau, a lime wedge and a shaker and I will make you the best Cosmopolitan you’ve ever had.)

When the finale of the show aired, me and one of my best friends sat crossed legged, inches from the TV as to not miss a minute. (And to drown out loud, playing children in the background.) Tears rolled down my face when Big announced to Carrie, “you’re the one.”

When the first SATC movie came out, I eagerly invited friends to share the experience with me. It was one of my best memories ever.

This time, I have upped the ante and there will be 15 other women with me, watching the ever important story line with me.

I am SO not a joiner, so I have wondered, what makes SATC so special to me?

Firstly, character association. I have taken several tests to determine which SATC character I am most like.

As much as I want it to be Samantha, most of the time, test results proclaim that I am Charlotte. The Do-gooder, the planner. The One Who Wants to Marry. (Egads- and please send help.) But, this association is not all bad. Charlotte is a sticky glue that keeps the girls together. Her Pollyannaish view of the world is not entirely unlike mine. I have a firm belief that everything will work out well – as it is supposed to.

Occasionally, I get the Carrie result. The writer. The one who documents for all of posterity.

But, I never end up with the result that I am like Miranda…even though her character (businesswoman) is a part of me as well.

To this day, my favorite scene from the HBO TV Show is the one where the four girls are having breakfast and Samantha says, “I am dating a guy with the funkiest tasting spunk.” There are quick camera angles of all of the girls exchanging looks…and then Charlotte gets up and leaves, shoving open the door of the restaurant purposefully. Miranda leans into Carrie and says in an ominous tone, “…and she’s never coming back!” I laughed out loud.

I love these fictitious women – with all of their faults and foibles.

These women represent all of us, in some way or another. It is the unending story of women’s friendships that keeps me hooked on SATC and keeps me coming back….year after year. And I am grateful beyond any words that I have women friends in my life. They (Rachel, Janna, Janet, Deb, et al) keep me sane.

How about you – which SATC character are you and why?

No comments: