Saturday, May 1, 2010

Blogging and Gratitude


The last few days have been busy ones, and my opportunities to touch fingertips to key board have been scant. Responsibilities have bullied my brain and directed any chance I might have to write or blog towards other priorities.

However, I did want to get back out into the blogosphere to say Thank You. To my writing coach, who has encouraged my fledgling creative process; to Di, who put my words onto page that she contributes to (trianglemom2mom.com) and to anyone who has taken the time to read what I have written, in my own little corner of the world wide web. I am humbled by the hits, the comments and warm e-mails that I have received. Though I read many blogs and am quite gifted at finding ANYTHING online, I am quite the neophyte when it comes to blogging for myself.

I have had great examples in the last several years with respects to blogging. After receiving accolades on mine recently, I did start to think about the ones that have inspired me. Regularly, I will pull up these blogs – some of the authors of are strangers to me and some are friends. I read them with great anticipation, while enjoying a cup of coffee in the morning, not unlike sitting down to read the local newspaper. I frequently refer back to some favorite posts, as well. I truly believe that anything worth reading once, is worth reading again. (Just ask the numerous shelves of my dog-eared and well loved books.) I do comment occasionally.

As a shout out and with gratitude, these are the blogs that have inspired me; hence another list.

http://dibookblogetc.typepad.com/my_weblog/ Di’s blog. It was the first one that I started to read and keep up with regularly. Initially, her blog was focused on books she had read and her reviews of them. How nervous I was to make the initial book recommendation to her! Di’s book reviews on her blog were interspersed with tales of her family life, which were always entertaining, lively and succinct. It was because of her voice via the written word and our shared love of books, that I fell in “friend love” with her – which has now spanned in time 4 years and 4 states in distance.

http://backinthegoodoldworld.blogspot.com/ My friend and former co-worker Cathy’s blog. After she exited corporate, Cathy and her photographer husband, Dick traveled extensively, driving for much of it domestically and then flying abroad. Cathy’s posts are always stirring and Dick’s photos complement her words evocatively. They have recently settled in a little town in AZ, and I am anticipatory for the stories their new grounded life will bring.

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/ Stephanie O'Dea resolved to use her Slow Cooker every day for one year beginning January 1, 2008. As an employee of the company that makes the most famous brand of Slow Cookers, I followed her blog almost religiously. She came up with some fabulous, creative recipes that year and has continued to share new dishes since then. She has now appeared on Rachael Ray and some morning shows, all the while bringing awareness to the brand that I work for and the art of Slow Cooking



http://jennnster.blogspot.com/index.html My friend Di (see above) recommended this blog to me as Jen and I were planning our weddings at pretty much the same time in 2006 / 2007. I have enjoyed reading Jen’s takes on her wedding plans, the day itself, being a Mom, buying a home and most recently, being unemployed. Jen has a very real and honest voice that resonates.

http://motherhooduncensored.typepad.com/ Kristen Chase is an unorthodox voice for mommies. She tells is like it is with no holds barred about motherhood, breastfeeding, being a wife, in-laws (dubbed “sin-laws”) and sex. Reading her blog will remind you of the time you split a bottle of wine with a good friend and let the epitaphs fly. She also hosts a radio show http://www.mominatrixradio.com/ about having a spicy bedroom life…while being a parent.

http://ramseyandpablo.com/ (Okay so this is more an “official website” than a blog, but I still love it.) Chad Dressen is just a regular mid-western guy, with a knack for catching his two dogs (a female Doberman, Ramsey and a male Chihuahua, Pablo) doing hilarious things on film. I tuned into his youtube videos just as their popularity was turning into a phenomenon. I am even more of a fan as Chad has turned the popularity of the pups into an opportunity to promote animal activism.

http://amammainthemaking.com/ My writing coach’s blog. For quite awhile, I had been struggling with how to incorporate and / or manage the creative writer within me. Cricket only posts every so often, but her words are always meaningful and evocative. This inspiring woman has gently prodded me onto a creative path…of writing. Writing has always been in my character, but it just took a wise soul to help me get it out. She is extremely artistic, in many venues and is always an inspiration. I admire her not only for her writing, but also for the person / woman / mother / partner that she is. I am also very grateful for the guidance she has provided me.

My choices in blog reading may be a bit eclectic – but that’s probably in keeping with my personality. I am always open to reading more, so I ask you, what are your favorite blogs? And why do you read them?

And again, I humbly thank you for reading mine.

1 comment:

j.sterling said...

you are so sweet for mentioning me and my blog.. in a time when i feel like NO ONE freaking reads eachother's blogs anymore.. this was a nice surprise! :)

i look forward to reading yours! adding you to my feedreader now! xoxo