Monday, October 4, 2010

So What IS Normal?



(My Cousin, Nicole and myself at Michelle's Wedding)

I thought that I was done, finished, finito. This past weekend heralded the completion of “my year of weddings and events.”


As you may have read previously, I was honored to be the Matron of Honor for two weddings this summer. Additionally, my daughter traveled - and my family traveled...to Maine, to New York City and to the Florida Keys.


Last Saturday was the wedding of my sister, Michelle. It took place in a lovely botanical garden in Fort Pierce, FL. It was my last wedding of the season.


My husband, my daughter and I drove the hour and a half back to our home yesterday. When I got here, I promptly threw myself into bed and stayed there...napping on and off and didn’t fully get up or shed my jammies until it was time to go to work this morning.


Then today, somewhat groggily, I began what I believed would be my ‘normal life’ once again. Driving Taylor to school, getting to work and immersing myself in e-mails, spreadsheets and presentations.


And then I realized this evening, after some thought, how far from getting back to what I would think of as ‘normal life’ I am.


  • I am a single Mom for the balance of the week (Donnie had to travel yet once again for work and left early this morning) - not ‘normal life.’


  • We still haven’t resolved the house status; leave it on the market at a much lower price or take it off the market? - not ‘normal life.’


  • We also haven’t decided on whether or not we will retire my beloved Chrysler Convertible, Casey and get a new car (this decision being intrinsically tied to the one above) - not ‘normal life.’


  • I am leaving for San Francisco for a conference in little over a week (and over my daughter’s 15th birthday, no less - yes, please add this one to my BMOTY award submissions) - not ‘normal life.’


  • Though it is a bit farther off, I have once again volunteered to host Thanksgiving in my woefully small abode and must begin plans, calling people, organizing...again - not ‘normal life.’


So I just have to sigh with the realization that while the next few weeks and months on the calendar do not mark any marquee type events, my new but not ‘normal life’ will likely be only slightly less frenetic than the one that I have lived over the past 9 months.


I long to take a moment and smell life’s roses -

Does anyone else feel as though life is just rushing at them?


1 comment:

Cathy and Dick said...

Vick, Vick, Vick... you know there's no such thing as "normal life"! Enjoy every moment of it - think how lucky you are to have that house, that car, that daughter, that husband, that job... and the opportunity to go to SF, the best city in the US! You got it goin' on!