Saturday, March 20, 2010

The Best Days

Yesterday was a really good day. Firstly, Fridays are my favorite day of the week. And, it felt as though the nasty cold that had kicked my ass every day since last Sunday was finally, gradually relinquishing its hold on my head, sinuses, body and disposition. I also had a busy yet productive day at work. Then, as the proverbial cherry on the top of the cake of my day, I attended a happy hour to celebrate the return to town of a woman who was once a co-worker and who’s grace, poise, beauty, gift for writing and zest for traveling and living I admire greatly.
During the happy hour event, I got not only to briefly touch base with her, but also connect on a more personal level with other people from work, which was very satisfying. When I drove home afterwards, I put the top down on my beloved convertible, Casey, and turned the radio up. I thought, “it is a good day to be alive.”
I got home, got onto my computer and arranged a girl’s night out for late May, for the opening of the movie Sex and the City 2. I sent the invite out to at least 20 women and got another thrill when I received 4 confirmations back within a few minutes…and this was at 10 o’clock at night.
I was really heartened and inspired by having such a great day. I wanted to call people and say “this was SUCH a great day.”
By this morning, I was thinking…what constitutes a great day? And what are my top ten? Thus I was inspired to create a list.
Unlike Letterman would, I list them in no particular order (except the last one is the best!):
1. 10/1987 - The day that I realized I was in love for the first time – It was a knock your socks off, passionate, all-consuming love. And, like many first loves, it did not last. But, I will never forget him nor the passion that consumed my late teens and early twenties. (I am still in touch with him sporadically, which makes me happy…I like to know that he is well and healthy.)

2. 02/1995 -The day that I found out I was pregnant with Taylor – my mildly raucous behavior earlier on had made me irrationally fear that I had affected my ability to conceive. The stick that I peed on 5 minutes later produced a little plus sign that put my fears to rest and changed my life.

3. 04/2007 -The day that I married my husband – I had already been living with my husband to be and had been friends with him for the better part of a decade. But on our wedding day, when my nerves were amped up and I was questioning everything…he took my hand in his and the quiet, resolved, unshakable look in his eyes made everything okay and right. To this day, when he takes my hand and looks in my eyes, I feel that my world is level, loving and where it is supposed to be.

4. 03/1999 - The day that I found out that Taylor was gifted – I suppose this one is a little snooty, but I felt such great satisfaction the day that I got the results from the private psychologist that her dad and I had hired. My kid is smart! Not only was she smart, but she was in the range of genius! Mind you, I would have loved her no matter the intellectual package she would have come in. But at the time, I felt vindicated. I ate well during pregnancy, ate protein in the last trimester to boost her developing brain cells, I breastfed her until she was 22 months.

5. 06/1995 - The day I found out she was a she – I always imagined myself having a girl. So, when the ultrasound tech asked me during my one and only scan of my one and only pregnancy, “Do you want to know the gender of the baby?,” I hesitated. What if it was a boy? I might need some time to readjust my thinking. But my husband at the time saved me by saying “YES! Yes, we want to know.” The tech confirmed what my tenuous heart already knew….that I was having a daughter.


6. 01/2007 - The day of the Girls Luncheon prior to my wedding – It was as though all the stars were aligned. My Matron of Honor came down from Maine. All of the women I care most about came to a little Mexican restaurant in downtown Boca. The lunch only lasted 2 hours, but the glow I felt from being surrounded by such bright, beautiful women has lasted years.

7. 05/2008 - The Movie Sex and the City – I got to see this movie, surrounded by wonderful women I call my friends in a very posh way. I booked tickets early and had 7 lovely girlfriends come to watch a very important movie (to me) with me. We got to have cosmos, wine and real food and nestle comfortably in great seats. After the movie, we came to my house to discuss it.


8. 02/2003 - The day of my first bonus – It wasn’t a great amount, but I felt recognized and felt really positive about the work I am doing with the generous company that I am still employed with today. The bonuses have just gotten better, but the pride I felt that day cannot be topped. It is a great company to work for.

9. 10/2002 - The day that I asked him to kiss me – otherwise a lot of things would have never happened.

10. 10/1995 - The birth of my daughter – Never did I ever imagine that I would be so present during the birth of my own child. When my midwife said, “reach down and pull your baby out, I did just that. I then lifted her onto my chest and began the relationship with Taylor, the beautiful creature who is now my 14 year old daughter.

So what about you? What are the happiest days of your life?

2 comments:

Cathy and Dick said...

OOoh, what a great idea for a post - a list of your 10 Best Days! I'm going to think about this and try it myself! And so glad that even tho we only got to talk for a brief time, we connected... and I'm in your blog. Woo hoo! C.

Di said...

I think it is so cool that you include days from your time with your first love. So many people have those relationships end and immediately begin to denigrate anything involved with the lost love.

Mine might be in July, 2006 when I first felt myself being released from the tethers of the awful depression that had consumed the prior 6 months. I have a picture of me and my niece from that day and it still calls back the pure happiness of not being sad.